Gaijin's Musings

Thursday, October 27, 2005

George and I volunteer at the Nike Women's Marathon





Somehow I convinced George to get up with me at 5am on Sunday, Oct. 23, to go to Crissy field and hang out starting from 5:30am. Ostensibly we were course volunteers, guiding runners of the half-marathon and full marathon course along their way and preventing cars from disrupting the race. However, a police car came and blocked off access to the course from the Presidio with barricades, so our role became cheering on the sweaty women running. Knowing nobody running the race (except for our cousin's girlfriend Amanda, whom we did not spot in the crowds) we cheered on the anonymous horde, handing out high-fives, applause, encouraging phrases, spare booty-shaking, and occasional name call-outs corresponding to what was printed on some runner's shirts. I found photos of Amanda, as well as some of the marathon winners, but sadly there are no photos of George in his Yo-MTV Raps hat or me in my Chicago Cubs hat. Amelia, our volunteer coordinator strolled by to offer us flluorescent vests to wear while we were cheering, and I had a Nike Women's Marathon "Crew" shirt on underneath, whereas George sported a grossly similar t-shirt hawking the biological plastics supplies firm Sarstedt.
Race Winner Traci Gold (27) appears to be all-business, whereas Amanda (10434) seems to be enjoying herself more...

This was the first race I have volunteered for and I felt good giving back to runners in the same ways that I have benefited when running races. I would like to run the Nike Women's Marathon at some point (the field despite appearances is open to men) but it is so popular that I will have to sign up well in advance.

I am signed up to run the USHalf San Francisco half-marathon in a week and a half, and I look forward to enjoying the crowd support there.

1 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like an amazing race! Women runners rock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home